DIY Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
January 23, 2019
Are you craving warm and hearty baked goods this winter season? I know I am. When the weather gets cold, I find myself choosing to make sweet cannabis-infused treats like brownies, cookies, cakes and muffins, instead of healthier options like salads and smoothies.
Still, a bunch of sugar and flour isn’t great for your health, so I try to give these edible creations a healthy twist.
That’s why I love making this marijuana-infused chocolate chip zucchini bread. It’s sweet and chocolatey with the texture of a super moist cake, but it sneaks in plenty of vegetables with all of that grated zucchini. Plus, it calls for natural sweeteners like honey and banana.
To make it even healthier, this recipe skips the large amounts of unhealthy oil that’s usually in zucchini bread. Instead of the oil, we use a small amount of butter which mixes with the banana to create an incredibly moist batter. You’d never know the oil was missing, except for the delicious buttery flavor.
The end result is flavorful, moist and dense in the best possible way. This bread makes a great addition to breakfast, or it can be a tasty dessert or even a midday snack. Have some fresh out of the oven or save it for later and enjoy it toasted with butter.
Is your mouth watering yet?
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread:
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup melted cannabutter
- Butter or baking spray for greasing loaf pan
- 1/3 cup honey (or sweetener of your choice, which you can adjust according to your taste)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
You can make cannabutter using this recipe. Folks with a lower tolerance to cannabis may also want to use less cannabutter in the recipe. In this case, you can swap out some of the cannabutter and replace it with regular butter.
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease your 8x5-inch loaf pan with butter or baking spray. Set the pan aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until they’re completely smooth. Add in the melted cannabutter, stirring until the mixture’s completely integrated and smooth.
- Crack your egg in a small bowl and beat it lightly. Then, add it to the large bowl.
- Add the honey, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and flour to the bowl, and stir the mixture until the batter is thick and totally combined. It should be relatively smooth at this point.
- Next, add in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips, folding them gently into the batter. Mix until the grated zucchini and chocolate chips are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Once evenly mixed, pour or scoop the batter from the bowl into your pre-greased loaf pan. Put the loaf pan into the oven and bake for 50 minutes to an hour, or until a fork or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf. Once finished, let the loaf cool on a rack before slicing.
Once completely cool, slice and enjoy your bread.
Photo credit: Whitney Wright